question of using supermarket.arff for academic research

question of using supermarket.arff for academic research

Lin Thomas Ngo-Ye
Dear Weka Experts,

I just find with new Weka 3.6.3, it comes with a new dataset supermarket.arff. I am planning an academic research project. I am wondering whether I could use the supermarket.arff? The initial intended outcome of this project is to publish a paper in a conference. Please advise me on what I need to do if the dataset can be used for academic research project. By the way, may I know the source of the supermarket.arff? What are the meanings of the attributes? Has the supermarket.arff being used in any published literature?

Thanks!

Thomas

Re: question of using supermarket.arff for academic research

mhall
Administrator
On 9/8/10 12:50 PM, Lin Thomas Ngo-Ye wrote:
> Dear Weka Experts,
> I just find with new Weka 3.6.3, it comes with a new dataset
> supermarket.arff. I am planning an academic research project. I am
> wondering whether I could use the supermarket.arff? The initial intended
> outcome of this project is to publish a paper in a conference. Please
> advise me on what I need to do if the dataset can be used for academic
> research project. By the way, may I know the source of the
> supermarket.arff? What are the meanings of the attributes? Has the
> supermarket.arff being used in any published literature?

I'm fairly certain that it is OK to use this data for academic research.
It's a real world transaction data set from a small NZ supermarket. The
data was collected about 10 years ago now and I can't remember whether
it was a single day's worth of transactions or a week's worth (certainly
not more than a week). The attributes are aggregated to the department
level in the supermarket, so, for example, "bread and cake" covers a
number of different products, and a value of "t" indicates that the
customer's shopping cart contained at least one product from that
department. Unfortunately, not all departments are named. From memory, I
had to write a program to extract the data from some archaic database
system that the supermarket was using and I was only given a subset of
the full list of department names.

As far as I'm aware this data has not been used in any published literature.

Cheers,
Mark.