out-of-memory error, weka 3.8.3, windows 10

out-of-memory error, weka 3.8.3, windows 10

Marina Santini

Hi,

although I have increased the values of the -Xmx and -Xss parameters in the Java configuration (see picture below),

image.png

when I run Weka, the settings that I find in weka-systeminfo

image.png

are the following:

image.png

This means that I get an out-of-memory error when I process a large dataset.

image.png

How can I change the initial heap size in weka? Apparently, the settings I specified in the Java configuration in the control panel are ignored.
How can I edit the weka system info, and increase the heap size permanently?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Marina

Re: out-of-memory error, weka 3.8.3, windows 10

Eibe Frank
With the Oracle JDK and OpenJDK, you can use the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable:

If you are using Windows, search for "Environment variables" (the ones for the user), and add a new variable with the name

_JAVA_OPTIONS

Make sure you have the underscore at the start. Then, as the value for this variable, enter

-Xmx4g

to give the JVM four GB of maximum heap space.

The stack space is already set to a pretty large value by default in the Windows version of WEKA (to prevent problems with data transfer into R when the RPlugin is installed) and there should be no need to adjust it. The heap is where Java stores objects, and out of memory exceptions mean that Java has run out of heap space.