Why does weka.jar contain Commons Compress library classes ?

Why does weka.jar contain Commons Compress library classes ?

Óscar Frías Barranco
Hello.

We are using Weka libraries in our project.  The project also depends on Commons Compress library and we have found that the version embedded in weka.jar is older than the one that we need.

Would it be possible to distribute weka.jar without including Commons Compress in it?  I understand that this is the standard way to proceed, you could just include the external dependencies in extra jar files in your distribution zip.  If you need a specific version of Commons Compress (I don't know if this is why you are embedding it) then it could be moved to a custom package to avoid this kind of conflicts.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Óscar Frías

Re: Why does weka.jar contain Commons Compress library classes ?

Peter Reutemann-3
On November 7, 2019 5:26:41 AM GMT+13:00, "Óscar Frías Barranco" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>We are using Weka libraries in our project.  The project also depends
>on
>Commons Compress library and we have found that the version embedded in
>weka.jar is older than the one that we need.
>
>Would it be possible to distribute weka.jar without including Commons
>Compress in it?  I understand that this is the standard way to proceed,
>you
>could just include the external dependencies in extra jar files in your
>distribution zip.  If you need a specific version of Commons Compress
>(I
>don't know if this is why you are embedding it) then it could be moved
>to a
>custom package to avoid this kind of conflicts.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Óscar Frías
>Trabber.com

Use it as a Maven dependency, then you can use a newer version (most likely).

Also, have you checked the latest snapshots? The commons-compress dependency got upgraded recently.