Why Zulu jre?

Michael Hall
Recent threads have mentioned that Weka is using the Zulu JRE in it’s latest versions.

Why was this chosen over openjdk Oracle jre’s?

If weka.jar is used in a java application using a openjdk/Oracle JRE are there any potential compatibility issues?

Re: Why Zulu jre?

Eibe Frank
Zulu makes a JRE that includes JavaFX, which is used by some WEKA packages.

AFAIK, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:35 AM Michael Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Recent threads have mentioned that Weka is using the Zulu JRE in it’s latest versions.

Why was this chosen over openjdk Oracle jre’s?

If weka.jar is used in a java application using a openjdk/Oracle JRE are there any potential compatibility issues?

Re: Why Zulu jre?

Michael Hall

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:54 PM, Eibe Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Zulu makes a JRE that includes JavaFX, which is used by some WEKA packages.
>
> AFAIK, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

OK, thanks for the answer.

 I’ve updated my version and added the jar to an application where I include it. No initial problems.

I thought there was some indication a while back that Weka would remain at java 8 indefinitely. I would now assume that is that it will still be compiled with java 8 but there are no problems running Weka with jdk 11?

Re: Why Zulu jre?

Eibe Frank
Yes, the code can still be run with Java 8. It also runs with Java 11 but you will need to use the appropriate command-line flag for the java command to suppress the warning regarding introspection that is shown by default. To see the exact flag needed for this, take a look at the scripts that are used to start WEKA in the platform-specific distributions.

Note that to run as many WEKA packages as possible with Java 11, the code of some of the Java EE .jar files that have been dropped from in Java 11 distributions are now included in weka.jar.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 5:36 PM Michael Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:54 PM, Eibe Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Zulu makes a JRE that includes JavaFX, which is used by some WEKA packages.
>
> AFAIK, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

OK, thanks for the answer.

 I’ve updated my version and added the jar to an application where I include it. No initial problems.

I thought there was some indication a while back that Weka would remain at java 8 indefinitely. I would now assume that is that it will still be compiled with java 8 but there are no problems running Weka with jdk 11?

Re: Why Zulu jre?

Michael Hall

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 4:00 AM, Eibe Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, the code can still be run with Java 8. It also runs with Java 11 but you will need to use the appropriate command-line flag for the java command to suppress the warning regarding introspection that is shown by default. To see the exact flag needed for this, take a look at the scripts that are used to start WEKA in the platform-specific distributions.
>
> Note that to run as many WEKA packages as possible with Java 11, the code of some of the Java EE .jar files that have been dropped from in Java 11 distributions are now included in weka.jar.

Thanks again. The warnings don’t concern me that much.