Weka does not launch

WIJNBERGEN, MARK

Hi everybody,

I have downloaded and installed this version: weka-3-6-13jre-x64.exe; 53.1 MB

of Weka this morning on a windows 8.1 laptop.

After installing, I have checked the box to launch weka. A black window appeared and immediately disappeared. Thereafter, nothing happened. I tried to launch weka again (both the normal and the 'with console' version). Again, the same black window appeared and immediately disappeared afterwards.

I have reinstalled Weka several times and also installed the developer version. Every time, the same  black window appeared and immediately disappeared.

Can anybody help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Wijnbergen

Re: Weka does not launch

G. MULLER - Work
Hi,

The block window that pops up is probably the windows shell/commandline
that the "weka.bat" startup script runs to launch weka.

If it closes without weka window opening it's because there's an error.

With only the explanation you give, we cannot really help you.

Can you set the weka.bat to keep the commandline opened even in case of
failure (I'm not a windows user, but I know there's such an option when
you right clic on the wekabat icon).

Also, there is certainly a log file (weka.log?) that is created on
failure. Can you find this file? You might find the problem. If you
don't, just send us the content, we might help you better.

Finally, there might be a "troubleshooting" section in the User's
Manual. Have you looked at it?

GM

PS: if nothing happens, I guess the problem is either in java being
badly installed, or in the CLASSPATH being badly set.

Re: Weka does not launch

Mark Hall
On 14/12/15, 12:41 AM, "WIJNBERGEN, MARK" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have downloaded and installed this version: weka-3-6-13jre-x64.exe; 53.1 MB

of Weka this morning on a windows 8.1 laptop.

After installing, I have checked the box to launch weka. A black window appeared and immediately disappeared. Thereafter, nothing happened. I tried to launch weka again (both the normal and the 'with console' version). Again, the same black window appeared and immediately disappeared afterwards.

I have reinstalled Weka several times and also installed the developer version. Every time, the same  black window appeared and immediately disappeared.

Can anybody help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?

The “with console” start menu entry should result in the console window staying open, allowing you to see any errors/exceptions. If that is not happening then you can try launching Weka manually from a console window:

Open a console window
Change directory to the Weka installation directory (in Program Files)
Type “java –jar weka.jar”

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: Weka does not launch

WIJNBERGEN, MARK

Cheers for your quick responses guys!

I opened a console window, changed directory to weka and typed:

' java -jar weka.jar '

It gave me the following error:

error occurred during initialization of vm java/lang/noclassdeffounderror java/lang/object

I've googled this problem and found these 2 solutions that might help me:

1) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11808829/jre-1-7-returns-java-lang-noclassdeffounderror-java-lang-object

This was not my case as all files were already unzipped correctly to .jar files.

2) https://geekycoder.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/java-tips-adventure-in-resolving-the-java-error-error-occurred-during-initialization-of-vm/

I get another error when running java in: c:\>java, compared to the one in the latter link, namely:

An error has occured while processing the shared archive file.

Unable to unmap shared space.

Error occured during initialization of VM

Unable to used shared archive

I hope the additional information I gave about possible solutions that not seemed to

work, might be beneficial for one of you to help me solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Re: Weka does not launch

G. MULLER - Work
Hi,

Apparently you've got a problem with you java installation.

What is your OS?
What is your PATH?
What is you CLASSPATH?
Do you hava the admin rights, or at least the right to read the java
bin/lib dirs and files?

GM
PS: some people here can probably help you, but it would be best
asking/searching on Java-specific mailing-lists/forums.

Re: Weka does not launch

muqaddis
Hi......I have the same problem........can you please guide me how you
resolved this? i have installed and uninstalled many versions of this but
the same problem ....black screen appears and then disappears.....i would be
thankful to you