Weka Survey

Bill Li
Hi,

We are currently running a study on some potential usability-related changes that could be applied to Weka and we would like to invite you to help us answer some questions around this area.

The survey is estimated to take about 5 minutes of your time.

No personally identifying information will be collected and your answers will be anonymous.

Survey: https://waikato.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5jXqK1EZk1ZDinz

Regards,
Bill

Re: Weka Survey

Felipe Bravo
Hi,
Just answered the survey. Forgot saying one comment.
To me the MOST important missing feature of Weka is a nice CSV loader such as the one from Rstudio or RapidMiner, one that can visually help the user to specify the separator field, and can intelligently guess the nature of each attribute. I find the current CSVLoader extremely counterintuitive, and I always end up formatting the arff file by myself in code. This is a big barrier for non-programmers users.
Cheers,
Felipe

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM Bill Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are currently running a study on some potential usability-related changes that could be applied to Weka and we would like to invite you to help us answer some questions around this area.

The survey is estimated to take about 5 minutes of your time.

No personally identifying information will be collected and your answers will be anonymous.

Survey: https://waikato.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5jXqK1EZk1ZDinz

Regards,
Bill

Re: Weka Survey

Peter Reutemann
> Just answered the survey. Forgot saying one comment.
> To me the MOST important missing feature of Weka is a nice CSV loader such as the one from Rstudio or RapidMiner, one that can visually help the user to specify the separator field, and can intelligently guess the nature of each attribute. I find the current CSVLoader extremely counterintuitive, and I always end up formatting the arff file by myself in code. This is a big barrier for non-programmers users.

Changing the way the CSVLoader works in Weka would break existing
code, unfortunately.

Rather than changing the loader, I committed some changes today that
allow you to have alternative loaders for file types in the user
interface.

I also have an unofficial package for CSV loader/saver that uses the
Apache Common CSV library:
https://github.com/fracpete/common-csv-weka-package

The loader is quite basic, as all non-numeric columns get imported as
STRING attributes. You need to perform attribute conversions
post-import (eg StringToNominal).
However, the Common CSV library handles multi-line cells, so quite
useful for importing textual data that doesn't have the new-lines
escaped.

Re: Weka Survey

Abacap
Theme is importand but I would like to see Weka oriented more towards usability. Less academic. For example, the results of algorithms are in a format that are difficult to process.
Same with data import.

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:26 AM
From: "Bill Li" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Wekalist] Weka Survey

_______________________________________________ Wekalist mailing list -- [hidden email] Send posts to [hidden email] To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] To subscribe, unsubscribe, etc., visit https://list.waikato.ac.nz/postorius/lists/wekalist.list.waikato.ac.nz List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html