WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

12

WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

Hello,

I downloaded the full version with Java and installed it without errors.  Setup all the necessary environment according to the online Video on Youtube.  When I launch WEKA, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and if I click on any of the buttons, such as explorer or others, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and for the GUI to show-up.  I am providing the report for your evaluation.  Please let me know how to fix this issue.

WEKA_HOME: C:\Users\jo\wekafiles

awt.toolkit: sun.awt.windows.WToolkit

file.encoding: Cp1252

file.separator: \

java.awt.graphicsenv: sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment

java.awt.printerjob: sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob

java.class.path: C:/Program Files/Weka-3-8-4/weka.jar;

java.class.version: 55.0

java.home: C:\Program Files\Weka-3-8-4\jre\zulu11.35.15-ca-fx-jre11.0.5-win_x64

java.io.tmpdir: C:\Users\jo\AppData\Local\Temp\

java.library.path: C:\Program Files\Weka-3-8-4\jre\zulu11.35.15-ca-fx-jre11.0.5-win_x64\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Rtools\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\CLI2\wbin;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v10.2\bin;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v10.2\libnvvp;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;C:\Program Files\SlikSvn\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\170\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin\dot.exe;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Compute 2019.5.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3;C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\Scripts;C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\Library\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\150\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\150\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\150\R_SERVER\bin\x64;C:\Users\johnny\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\johnny\.dotnet\tools;C:\Users\johnny\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;C:\Users\johnny\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;;.;C:\Users\johnny\wekafiles\native

java.net.useSystemProxies: true

java.runtime.name: OpenJDK Runtime Environment

java.runtime.version: 11.0.5+10-LTS

java.specification.name: Java Platform API Specification

java.specification.vendor: Oracle Corporation

java.specification.version: 11

java.vendor: Azul Systems, Inc.

java.vendor.url: http://www.azulsystems.com/

java.vendor.url.bug: http://www.azulsystems.com/support/

java.vendor.version: Zulu11.35+15-CA

java.version: 11.0.5

java.version.date: 2019-10-15

java.vm.compressedOopsMode: Zero based

java.vm.info: mixed mode

java.vm.name: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM

java.vm.specification.name: Java Virtual Machine Specification

java.vm.specification.vendor: Oracle Corporation

java.vm.specification.version: 11

java.vm.vendor: Azul Systems, Inc.

java.vm.version: 11.0.5+10-LTS

jdk.debug: release

line.separator: \r\n

memory.initial: 510MB (534773760)

memory.max: 8144MB (8539602944)

os.arch: amd64

os.name: Windows 10

os.version: 10.0

path.separator: ;

sun.arch.data.model: 64

sun.awt.enableExtraMouseButtons: true

sun.boot.library.path: C:\Program Files\Weka-3-8-4\jre\zulu11.35.15-ca-fx-jre11.0.5-win_x64\bin

sun.cpu.endian: little

sun.cpu.isalist: amd64

sun.desktop: windows

sun.io.unicode.encoding: UnicodeLittle

sun.java.command: weka.gui.GUIChooser

sun.java.launcher: SUN_STANDARD

sun.jnu.encoding: Cp1252

sun.management.compiler: HotSpot 64-Bit Tiered Compilers

sun.os.patch.level:

ui.currentLookAndFeel: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel

ui.installedLookAndFeels: javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel,javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel,com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif.MotifLookAndFeel,com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel,com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsClassicLookAndFeel

user.country: US

user.dir: C:\Program Files\Weka-3-8-4

user.home: C:\Users\jo

user.language: en

user.name: jo

user.script:

user.timezone: America/New_York

user.variant:

weka.version: 3.8.4

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> I downloaded the full version with Java and installed it without errors.  Setup all the necessary environment according to the online Video on Youtube.  When I launch WEKA, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and if I click on any of the buttons, such as explorer or others, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and for the GUI to show-up.  I am providing the report for your evaluation.  Please let me know how to fix this issue.

I'm not a Windows user, but Weka starts up within a few seconds in a
VirtualBox instance of Windows 10.

Can you execute the following command in a Command prompt:
java -jar "C:/Program Files/Weka-3-8-4/weka.jar"

Are there any errors?

What is the output of (also in the command prompt):
java -version

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

Hello Peter,

BTW,  I also did the same thing.  I launched Hyper-V in the Same machine that I am having issues and created a VM and installed Windows 10.  I installed and launch WEKA and it launched normally.  So, there must be something or settings that is interfering with WEKA.  I would prefer to use the machine directly. It has 32 Gig or RAM and a SSD drive.

When I ran the command line string that you provided, the response is:

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Here is a copy of my screen.

Best Regards,

Johnny

Johnny Sandaire Ph.D

WebZest, LLC

Johnny Sandaire Photography

570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F

Cranford, NJ 07016

Phone: 908-377-3627

> I downloaded the full version with Java and installed it without errors.  Setup all the necessary environment according to the online Video on Youtube.  When I launch WEKA, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and if I click on any of the buttons, such as explorer or others, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and for the GUI to show-up.  I am providing the report for your evaluation.  Please let me know how to fix this issue.

I'm not a Windows user, but Weka starts up within a few seconds in a VirtualBox instance of Windows 10.

Can you execute the following command in a Command prompt:

java -jar "C:/Program Files/Weka-3-8-4/weka.jar"

Are there any errors?

What is the output of (also in the command prompt):

java -version

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

Hello again, Peter,

So, after reading your Email once more, I decided to add Java to my Path System environment Variable.  And when I ran your command line string,  WEKA was called, took a little less time, but still took some time to launch.  Explorer took at least three to four minutes to show-up when clicked.

Also, I received the following WARNING, as noted in the attached Screen Capture:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

WARNING: Illegal reflective access by weka.core.WekaPackageClassLoaderManager (file:/C:/Program%20Files/Weka-3-8-4/weka.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int,java.security.ProtectionDomain)

WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of weka.core.WekaPackageClassLoaderManager

WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations

WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Best Regards,

Johnny

Johnny Sandaire Ph.D

WebZest, LLC

Johnny Sandaire Photography

570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F

Cranford, NJ 07016

Phone: 908-377-3627

> I downloaded the full version with Java and installed it without errors.  Setup all the necessary environment according to the online Video on Youtube.  When I launch WEKA, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and if I click on any of the buttons, such as explorer or others, it takes at least 4 minutes to load and for the GUI to show-up.  I am providing the report for your evaluation.  Please let me know how to fix this issue.

I'm not a Windows user, but Weka starts up within a few seconds in a VirtualBox instance of Windows 10.

Can you execute the following command in a Command prompt:

java -jar "C:/Program Files/Weka-3-8-4/weka.jar"

Are there any errors?

What is the output of (also in the command prompt):

java -version

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> So, after reading your Email once more, I decided to add Java to my Path System environment Variable.  And when I ran your command line string,  WEKA was called, took a little less time, but still took some time to launch.  Explorer took at least three to four minutes to show-up when clicked.
>
> Also, I received the following WARNING, as noted in the attached Screen Capture:
>
> WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

You can ignore that warning.

Instead of using the bundled JRE, can you download JDKs from here:
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Try downloading Java 8 and 11 (Hot Spot) as zip file, unzip them and
then start Weka with the full path to the java binary (it's just a
quick test, so don't add the directory to the PATH environment
variable). Is there a difference in speed compared to the bundled JRE?

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD
Hello Peter,

I tried all three: version 8, 11, and the latest 19.  They all behave the
same way, in terms of taking a long time to load.

Best Regards,

Johnny
Johnny Sandaire Ph.D
WebZest, LLC
Johnny Sandaire Photography
570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F
Cranford, NJ 07016
> So, after reading your Email once more, I decided to add Java to my Path
System environment Variable.  And when I ran your command line string,  WEKA
was called, took a little less time, but still took some time to launch.
Explorer took at least three to four minutes to show-up when clicked.

> Also, I received the following WARNING, as noted in the attached Screen
Capture:

> WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

You can ignore that warning.

Instead of using the bundled JRE, can you download JDKs from here:
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Try downloading Java 8 and 11 (Hot Spot) as zip file, unzip them and then
start Weka with the full path to the java binary (it's just a quick test, so
don't add the directory to the PATH environment variable). Is there a
difference in speed compared to the bundled JRE?

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> I tried all three: version 8, 11, and the latest 19.  They all behave the
> same way, in terms of taking a long time to load.

Is another application, like a virus scanner, interfering? You didn't
seem to have a problem inside a virtual machine.

Do you have any packages installed? Rename "C:\Users\johnny\wekafiles"
and see whether that has an impact.

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

The only other program is Windows Defender, which is also automatically installed and running on the VM that I created, where it runs fine.  It also runs oka on my Windows laptop; it's on my most powerful pc where it is having trouble loading.

I moved weka outside of the programFiles and called it; same issue.

Best Regards,

Johnny

Johnny Sandaire Ph.D

WebZest, LLC

Johnny Sandaire Photography

570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F

Cranford, NJ 07016

Phone: 908-377-3627

> I tried all three: version 8, 11, and the latest 19.  They all behave

> the same way, in terms of taking a long time to load.

Is another application, like a virus scanner, interfering? You didn't seem to have a problem inside a virtual machine.

Do you have any packages installed? Rename "C:\Users\johnny\wekafiles"

and see whether that has an impact.

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> The only other program is Windows Defender, which is also automatically installed and running on the VM that I created, where it runs fine.  It also runs oka on my Windows laptop; it's on my most powerful pc where it is having trouble loading.
>
> I moved weka outside of the programFiles and called it; same issue.

Are other Java applications slow on that machine as well? You could
MOA or MEKA, to see whether they exhibit the same problem:
https://adams.cms.waikato.ac.nz/snapshots/moa/moa-snapshot.zip
https://adams.cms.waikato.ac.nz/snapshots/meka/meka-snapshot.zip

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD
Hi Peter,

I downloaded and call both meka.bat and moa.bat successful and they both
launched without delay.  Are they the same as weka?

Best Regards,

Johnny
Johnny Sandaire Ph.D
WebZest, LLC
Johnny Sandaire Photography
570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F
Cranford, NJ 07016
> The only other program is Windows Defender, which is also automatically
installed and running on the VM that I created, where it runs fine.  It also
runs oka on my Windows laptop; it's on my most powerful pc where it is
having trouble loading.

> I moved weka outside of the programFiles and called it; same issue.

Are other Java applications slow on that machine as well? You could MOA or
MEKA, to see whether they exhibit the same problem:
https://adams.cms.waikato.ac.nz/snapshots/moa/moa-snapshot.zip
https://adams.cms.waikato.ac.nz/snapshots/meka/meka-snapshot.zip

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> I downloaded and call both meka.bat and moa.bat successful and they both
> launched without delay.  Are they the same as weka?

No, they are different frameworks:
- MEKA: multi-label/multi-target classification
- MOA: stream learning

Both of these frameworks are simpler Java applications as they don't
have a package manager like Weka.

Try launching Weka with the package manager in offline mode:
java -Dweka.packageManager.offline=true -jar weka.jar

I'm wondering whether your "grunty" machine has internet connection
problems (no internet or proxy required) and the package manager runs
into timeouts, resulting in the incredibly long start up time.

> I downloaded and call both meka.bat and moa.bat successful and they

> both launched without delay.  Are they the same as weka?

No, they are different frameworks:

- MEKA: multi-label/multi-target classification

- MOA: stream learning

Both of these frameworks are simpler Java applications as they don't have a package manager like Weka.

Try launching Weka with the package manager in offline mode:

java -Dweka.packageManager.offline=true -jar weka.jar

I'm wondering whether your "grunty" machine has internet connection problems (no internet or proxy required) and the package manager runs into timeouts, resulting in the incredibly long start up time.

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> I reinstalled WEKA and ran it as you instructed.  Same slow start behavior.  Here is my PC Specs.  It is a fairly new PC with lots of RAM and SSD drive.

In the Weka main menu, did it state "(offline)" in the menu item for
the package manager?

Sorry, but I don't know what else to try. In the past, we had
webservices (or email) not working under Windows, which we attributed
to (misconfigured?) Windows group policies: the Java application
stopped working once it got added to a Windows domain.

As a last test, I would boot up a Linux live CD (like Ubuntu) from a
USB stick on your machine, install Java and Weka and see whether it
behaves normal. If that works normal, then at least you can blame it
on the Windows installation/setup.

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

Yes, it does say offline from Tools/Package Manager(offline)

I understand. Sometimes things just do not work.  I do have a VM that I setup with only Windows 10 installed and Weka that I can use, in case I would like to use it.

I usually run Visual Studio Code for Python and RStudio for R development.  I wanted to try WEKA for the ability to quickly visualize the data and to also use Weka as a learning tool to help me better understand how Machine Learning works, etc.  Tks for all of your efforts.

Best Regards,

Johnny

Johnny Sandaire Ph.D

WebZest, LLC

Johnny Sandaire Photography

570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F

Cranford, NJ 07016

Phone: 908-377-3627

> I reinstalled WEKA and ran it as you instructed.  Same slow start behavior.  Here is my PC Specs.  It is a fairly new PC with lots of RAM and SSD drive.

In the Weka main menu, did it state "(offline)" in the menu item for the package manager?

Sorry, but I don't know what else to try. In the past, we had webservices (or email) not working under Windows, which we attributed to (misconfigured?) Windows group policies: the Java application stopped working once it got added to a Windows domain.

As a last test, I would boot up a Linux live CD (like Ubuntu) from a USB stick on your machine, install Java and Weka and see whether it behaves normal. If that works normal, then at least you can blame it on the Windows installation/setup.

> I reinstalled WEKA and ran it as you instructed.  Same slow start behavior.  Here is my PC Specs.  It is a fairly new PC with lots of RAM and SSD drive.

In the Weka main menu, did it state "(offline)" in the menu item for the package manager?

Sorry, but I don't know what else to try. In the past, we had webservices (or email) not working under Windows, which we attributed to (misconfigured?) Windows group policies: the Java application stopped working once it got added to a Windows domain.

As a last test, I would boot up a Linux live CD (like Ubuntu) from a USB stick on your machine, install Java and Weka and see whether it behaves normal. If that works normal, then at least you can blame it on the Windows installation/setup.

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> Is it possible that the issue is due to the content of your PATH environment variable?
>
> Going back to your original message, what strikes me is the size of the java.library.path. It seems that the JVM, on Windows, includes everything on the PATH in java.library.path. This might explain why it works fine when running vanilla(?) Windows in a VM, where your PATH is presumably a lot smaller.

Shouldn't that affect any Java application? MOA and MEKA didn't
exhibit that behavior...

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Not necessarily? Netlib-java/MTJ, which is used by WEKA, uses native libraries and the corresponding folder in wekafiles with the native libraries is actually specifically added to the java.library.path. I’m wondering whether a scan of the entire java.library.path is performed to find native matching libraries.

> On 27/05/2020, at 3:18 PM, Peter Reutemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that the issue is due to the content of your PATH environment variable?
>>
>> Going back to your original message, what strikes me is the size of the java.library.path. It seems that the JVM, on Windows, includes everything on the PATH in java.library.path. This might explain why it works fine when running vanilla(?) Windows in a VM, where your PATH is presumably a lot smaller.
>
> Shouldn't that affect any Java application? MOA and MEKA didn't
> exhibit that behavior...
>
> Cheers, Peter
> --
> Peter Reutemann
> Dept. of Computer Science
> University of Waikato, NZ
> +64 (7) 858-5174
> http://www.cms.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/
> http://www.data-mining.co.nz/

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD

I revisited your University Web site and noticed a different tool called ADAMS.  I downloaded and ran the Launcher.bat and it popped right up.  I then looked at the links from its drop-down and noticed WECA Explorer.  I selected it and it also popped right up.  I ran some analysis on the diabetes data set and it all executed almost instantly.

So, given these test results, I think there may be something going on with the WEKA stand-alone launcher.  Because, under ADAMS, WEKA works as expected.

Best Regards,

Johnny
Johnny Sandaire Ph.D
WebZest, LLC
Johnny Sandaire Photography
570 South Ave. East, Bldg: G, Suite: F
Cranford, NJ 07016

> I reinstalled WEKA and ran it as you instructed.  Same slow start behavior.  Here is my PC Specs.  It is a fairly new PC with lots of RAM and SSD drive.

In the Weka main menu, did it state "(offline)" in the menu item for the package manager?

Sorry, but I don't know what else to try. In the past, we had webservices (or email) not working under Windows, which we attributed to (misconfigured?) Windows group policies: the Java application stopped working once it got added to a Windows domain.

As a last test, I would boot up a Linux live CD (like Ubuntu) from a USB stick on your machine, install Java and Weka and see whether it behaves normal. If that works normal, then at least you can blame it on the Windows installation/setup.

List etiquette:

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Peter Reutemann
> I revisited your University Web site and noticed a different tool called ADAMS.  I downloaded and ran the Launcher.bat and it popped right up.  I then looked at the links from its drop-down and noticed WECA Explorer.  I selected it and it also popped right up.  I ran some analysis on the diabetes data set and it all executed almost instantly.
>
> So, given these test results, I think there may be something going on with the WEKA stand-alone launcher.  Because, under ADAMS, WEKA works as expected.

That's interesting...

I presume that you downloaded release 20.1.1. However, due to ADAMS
and Weka using a different class loading mechanism nowadays, the Weka
package support was broken. This week, ADAMS underwent a large
refactoring to correct this. I recommend you try downloading a
snapshot:
https://adams.cms.waikato.ac.nz/download/snapshot/

Also, I recommend you giving the Weka Investigator a go. It is a much
more powerful tool than the Explorer. Here is an older video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdA8OiMQ66c&t=10s

Re: WEKA is very slow to Start and launch on Windows 10

Dr. Johnny Sandaire PhD
Peter,

The WEKA Investigator that you recommended is very cool to test data.  I
made it through 1/2 of the video that you linked me to and the bodyfat
dataset is generating some very interesting analyses.  Tks for that.  The
ADAMS tool is working quite nicely.  I downloaded the ML version for now.
Is there one that you recommend for learning Data Science?