Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Geoffroy Jabouley

Hello

As Oracle has announced the end of its free support for Java 8, our company IT is asking us to move away from Oracle Java 8 as it cannot be updated anymore and so is a potential security flaw.

Can we run Weka using another JVM? Especially AdoptOpenJDK JRE 8.

Has it been tested already?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Regards

Re: Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Geoffroy Jabouley

Thanks Eibe for your answer

In my previous investigation, I found that AdoptOpenJDK releases were the closest possible from what was providing Oracle:

  • Both JRE & JDK versions, 8 & 11 LTS, Hotspot/OpenJ9 standard
  • Installer with options to configure same windows registry keys as Oracle, for legacy compatibility
  • a reactive developer community on Github
  • relevant under-development features (silent update checker, IcedTea Web, …)

So imho it seems the best fit for a 1-to-1 replacement JVM

But Corretto is also quite good candidate, I used it for a Jenkins CI setup without any trouble.

Anyway, as Weka is delivered with AND without JVM, then end-users can make their own JVM choices.

Thanks for your work 😉

Regards

Geoffroy Jabouley

SCM & DevOps engineer

MEMS Sensor Business Group

Sensor System Business Company

Re: Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Eibe Frank-3
The current plan is to stick with Java 8  for the foreseeable future. Corretto 8 includes JavaFX, which AdoptOpenJDK's Java 8 does not seem to offer:

I think Mark has written a replacement for the 3D scatter plot in WEKA, and this replacement uses JavaFX.

In the next release, we will change the Windows and macOS installers of WEKA so that Corretto 8 will be installed locally within the WEKA folder that is created by the installer. This JDK will not interfere with the system-wide Java that may be installed, but WEKA will be run with this local JDK. The question is whether we should still keep the macOS and Windows installers that do not include a JDK. My preference is to remove them. Of course, there will still be the platform-independent .zip file that includes the executable WEKA .jar.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 12:53 AM Geoffroy Jabouley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael Hall

On Sep 7, 2019, at 1:29 AM, Eibe Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

The current plan is to stick with Java 8  for the foreseeable future.

Is there a particular show stopper for moving beyond java 8?

Re: Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Peter Reutemann-3

>> The current plan is to stick with Java 8  for the foreseeable future.
>
>Is there a particular show stopper for moving beyond java 8?

Weka's package manager does some things underneath the hood that are not guaranteed to work beyond Java 8, due to the changes in how class loading works post with the modularization of post Java 8. You will see (for now) warnings about illegal access in the console, which might/will change to errors in the future.

Re: Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Michael Hall

> On Sep 7, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Peter Reutemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> The current plan is to stick with Java 8  for the foreseeable future.
>>
>> Is there a particular show stopper for moving beyond java 8?
>
> Weka's package manager does some things underneath the hood that are not guaranteed to work beyond Java 8, due to the changes in how class loading works post with the modularization of post Java 8. You will see (for now) warnings about illegal access in the console, which might/will change to errors in the future.

OK thanks. I have seen the warnings but was unaware of the difficulties in getting past them.

Re: Support of another JVM than Oracle on Windows?

Geoffroy Jabouley

Hello

I would also recommend to get rid of the Weka release without JVM, and instead just provide one release which properly bundle a standalone JRE within the installation folder of Weka.

It will make the tool independent from user system configuration, and also allow you to “enforce” the supported JVM version to use with  Weka.