MergeTwoValues for a class attribute

Moris Sverdlin
Hi,

I am part of a two man team working in a data mining class working on a project where we use Weka for several different things including classifying a dataset. Right now we have finished preprocessing our data in Excel and want to start using Weka. However there is a problem with the "MergeTwoValues" filter in the proprocessing panel. In Excel we made an attribute "CLASS" under which are three different subattributes: N,H & U. For using the proper cost matrix in Weka it is necesary to merge N & U into "notH". We tried using the MergeTwoValues filter for that but keep getting error messages.
Either there is a " Problem filtering instances: For input string "CLASS" error" or "Problem filtering instances: Cannot process class attribute".

What would be the proper syntax to make the configuration of the filter?

Thank You

Moissej Sverdlin

Re: MergeTwoValues for a class attribute

mhall
Administrator
On 14/01/12 2:16 AM, Moris Sverdlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am part of a two man team working in a data mining class working on a
> project where we use Weka for several different things including
> classifying a dataset. Right now we have finished preprocessing our data
> in Excel and want to start using Weka. However there is a problem with
> the "MergeTwoValues" filter in the proprocessing panel. In Excel we made
> an attribute "CLASS" under which are three different subattributes: N,H
> & U. For using the proper cost matrix in Weka it is necesary to merge N
> & U into "notH". We tried using the MergeTwoValues filter for that but
> keep getting error messages.
> Either there is a " Problem filtering instances: For input string
> "CLASS" error" or "Problem filtering instances: Cannot process class
> attribute".
>
> What would be the proper syntax to make the configuration of the filter?

In the Preprocess panel there is a drop-down box just above the
histogram visualization in the lower right-hand corner of the window.
Select "No class" from this drop down and you will be able to apply the
filter.

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: MergeTwoValues for a class attribute

Andres2007
Thanks. It was very helpful for me