Categorical features into numerical

asadbtk
If we have output variable as numerical (I.e Effort is the output variable in software effort estimation), is it a good idea to change any independent variables which are categorical to numerical values.? I read one paper which did this and claimed accuracy will increase with this but didn't give any further details.

Re: Categorical features into numerical

Peter Reutemann
> If we have output variable as numerical (I.e Effort is the output variable in software effort estimation), is it a good idea to change any independent variables which are categorical to numerical values.? I read one paper which did this and claimed accuracy will increase with this but didn't give any further details.

You could try Weka's ClassificationViaRegression meta-classifier:
http://weka.sourceforge.net/doc.dev/weka/classifiers/meta/ClassificationViaRegression.html

Re: Categorical features into numerical

asadbtk
Thanks a lot Peter for your cooperation.

Best regards