Auto-weka problem

Andrey Sukhanov
Dear colleagues,
I have the following problem with Auto-WEKA:
"Problem running Auto-WEKA:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error marshalling XML response"
The problem arrises in Weka 3.8.4 for both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04

Best Regards,
Andrey

Re: Auto-weka problem

Eibe Frank
Currently, Auto-WEKA does not work with Java 11, which is the version of Java that is now bundled with WEKA distributions and used to run WEKA by default. With the latest WEKA installers (i.e., the ones for 3.8.4 and 3.9.4), a Zulu Java 11 JVM is installed in the directory that contains the WEKA program and is used to run WEKA.

To use Auto-WEKA you should use Java 8 (9 and 10 may also work). Install Java 8 on your system, make it the default JVM, and double-click on weka.jar (or similar) to run WEKA with the installed Java 8 (i.e., do not start it via the Windows program menu or similar, which will use the Zulu Java 11 JVM).

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:23 PM Andrey Sukhanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

José Heitor
Thanks, Eibe.

Works for me - even with Zulu 8 installed on the system.

Cheers,
Jose

Re: Auto-weka problem

cdongo
This post was updated on .
Good Night, I got similar error message: "Problem evaluating classifier:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error marshalling XML response".

WEKA version is 3.8.4 running on Windows 10 Pro.  Same reported problem with
Autoweka.

Response to "java -version" in a Command Prompt is:
java version "1.8.0_231"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.231-b11, mixed mode)

I followed conversation between you'll but I can not identify how or where I
can run the WEKA.jar command.  How can I install different version of Java?,
What means "do not start it via the Windows"?, What other information can I
provide in order for you to make a proper diagnostic?

Regards, Camilo

Re: Auto-weka problem

Felix Mohr
Saludos Camilo,

I cannot help you with your concrete issue of AutoWEKA, but I would
maybe recommend that usage of ML-Plan (mlplan.org) to you (I hope this
is fine with the policies of this mailing list).

ML-Plan has shown to substantially outperform AutoWEKA in many
scenarios, and if you do not need a graphical user interface, it is most
probably the better choice.

ML-Plan runs off Java 1.8 and brings its own WEKA distribution, which is
a modification of the last stable build. Anyways, you never have to
worry about setting up WEKA in this context if you setup ML-Plan via
Maven or gradle.

There is also a concrete code example of how to use ML-Plan when working
with WEKA objects such as `Instances` and `Classifier`:
https://starlibs.github.io/AILibs/projects/mlplan/#working-with-weka-objects

Hope this helps,
Felix