command line usage / "percentage split"

Johanna Karlsson
Message

Hi,

We're trying to run a simple experiment with internal holdout from the command line, but can't find the appropriate option. This is the "percentage split" option in Weka Explorer, but the command line version has eluded us for hours.

The closest we have gotten so far is to try to run the "Experiment" class first, but we can't figure out the hyphens (and double-hyphens, and maybe some quotes). We have been over the mailing list, google, etc.

Two questions:

First, does anyone know is there a way to find the equivalent command-line string for a given Weka Explorer setting: that is, is the explorer emitting the command line somewhere that we could echo (and possibly modify)?

Second, if anyone could help us tackle our specific problem, it seems simple enough. We want to use holdout (66%) on J48 with confidence of, say 0.015 and class attribute index 1 (not "last").

We're trying something like

java -cp C:\Progra~1\Weka-3-4\weka.jar weka.experiment.Experiment -r -L 1 -U 1 -T F:\TMP\FLAT\br-test.arff -D weka.experiment.InstancesResultListener -P weka.experiment.RandomSplitResultProducer -- -W weka.experiment.ClassifierSplitEvaluator -- -C 1 -W weka.classifiers.trees.J48 -- -c 1

but we can never successfully specify the class attribute (note the -c and -C which are probably wrong), and we haven't even tried for the confidenceFactor.

Thanks in advance,

JK

Re: command line usage / "percentage split"

Peter Reutemann
> First, does anyone know is there a way to find the equivalent
> command-line string for a given Weka Explorer setting: that is, is the
> explorer emitting the command line somewhere that we could echo (and
> possibly modify)?

If you just want to run an experiment, try using the Experimenter
instead of the Explorer. If you save/serialize it to XML you can easily
edit it by hand. You can then run this experiment from the commandline
with the Experiment-class.

> Second, if anyone could help us tackle our specific problem, it seems
> simple enough. We want to use holdout (66%) on J48 with confidence of,
> say 0.015 and class attribute index 1 (not "last").

In the XML file there's also an object-tag with the name attribute
"classFirst". If you set this to true, you should be able to run your
experiments.

Hope that helps!

Peter Reutemann, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waikato
Phone +64 (7) 838-4466 Ext. 8766