Train and Test future pred. tabs - change colours?

Train and Test future pred. tabs - change colours?

alina.patelli
Hello all,

I am running the Weka Time Series Environment to forecast one of the attributes in an arff file with road traffic data. Everything works fine and I get to see the future predictions graphs on both training and test data. However, since there are about about 56600 instances in the arff file (0.3 held out to serve as test data), the two graphs get very cluttered and difficult to read, since the symbols for the actual target data and the predicted target data are both red and similar in shape (square vs circle). I was wondering if there is a way to manually set the graph colours and symbols to make for a clearer output.

Also, I understand from the documentation that Weka's regression algorithms are more powerful and more flexible than ARMA and ARIMA. In my research, I would have to prove that, by comparing the accuracy of regression models against that of models obtained with classic statistical techniques. Thus, I was wondering if ARMA/ARIMA are avilable in Weka to allow me to do the comparison metioned above.

Thank you,
Alina

Re: Train and Test future pred. tabs - change colours?

I don't think there is a way to change color. But you can CTRL-left-click and get a pop-up menu that enables you to zoom in.

Are you sure your are looking at the right graph? I think the default graph shown by the Forecast panel is not actually what people normally want to look at (assuming I'm understanding things correctly). My thinking is that normally you would want to compare actual values in the test data against 1-step ahead predictions, which is not what this graph ("Train future pred.") shows. By default, it will just show you one solitary circle right at the end of the "Train future pred." (and "Test future pred.", if you have that panel).

Go into the Output tab in the Forecast panel and tick "Graph predictions at step". Then, once, you have run the evaluation, select the tab "Test pred. for targets". You get a red curve (actual values) and a blue one (predicted values from 1-step ahead prediction).

> On 27 May 2017, at 05:24, alina.patelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am running the Weka Time Series Environment to forecast one of the
> attributes in an arff file with road traffic data. Everything works fine and
> I get to see the future predictions graphs on both training and test data.
> However, since there are about about 56600 instances in the arff file (0.3
> held out to serve as test data), the two graphs get very cluttered and
> difficult to read, since the symbols for the actual target data and the
> predicted target data are both red and similar in shape (square vs circle).
> I was wondering if there is a way to manually set the graph colours and
> symbols to make for a clearer output.
>
> Also, I understand from the documentation that Weka's regression algorithms
> are more powerful and more flexible than ARMA and ARIMA. In my research, I
> would have to prove that, by comparing the accuracy of regression models
> against that of models obtained with classic statistical techniques. Thus, I
> was wondering if ARMA/ARIMA are avilable in Weka to allow me to do the
> comparison metioned above.
>
> Thank you,
> Alina

Re: Train and Test future pred. tabs - change colours?

alina.patelli
Thanks, Eibe! That did it in terms of clearing up the graph output. I also figured out (I think) how to set up an ARMA model using the Lag creation tab under Advanced configuration. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

All the best,
Alina