Too much overlapping data between multiple classes

Too much overlapping data between multiple classes

micCalve
Is there a way/algorithm/filter that compares training data before including it as part of the model, in order to make sure that classes are not overlapping or too similar.

Sincerely,
Michael

Re: Too much overlapping data between multiple classes

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about new classes of data that are too similar to existing classes? Can you perhaps provide an example application?

> On 24/05/2017, at 4:57 AM, Michael Calve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way/algorithm/filter that compares training data before including it as part of the model, in order to make sure that classes are not overlapping or too similar.
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael

Re: Too much overlapping data between multiple classes

Hawkins Tom (AA-AS/ESD)
Isn't this what the off-diagonal elements of the confusion matrix from model validation tell you? If two classes A and B are overlapping from the perspective of the classification technique you are using then you will see a high rate of misclassification of A as B and vice versa.

If that's so then you could decide to filter one of those classes out of the training set, but I'm not sure in what circumstances that would be valid: the training set should be representative of what you will see in the test set, surely.

Tom