Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Marina Santini
Hi,

I would like to take the liberty to suggest 2 improvements to the Weka
Explorer interface.

1) Preprocess tab: At present, it is hard to understand whether the
Remove filter button works correctly. In my experience, it does not.
It would be helpful to erase the name of the previously applied filter
when pressing the Remove filter button and display "None", as a
confirmation that the filter has been correctly un-applied from the
preprocessing of a dataset.

2) Refer to all parameter windows: I make an example to explain this
need. Example:
When selecting Naive Bayes in the Classify tab, if you click on the
name on the classifier, a window is displayed with all the available
parameters available for that classifier. If you set a parameter in
that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
will appear next to NaiveBayes.

Sometimes it is not straightforward to understand to which parameter
in the window the switch corresponds to (eg, in the case of SMO).
Would it be possible to display also the switch in the parameter
window? For example: useKernelEstimator (-K): False

If I have been unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance

Keep up the good work.

Marina
_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Eibe Frank-2
Administrator

> On 26/05/2017, at 3:33 AM, Marina Santini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1) Preprocess tab: At present, it is hard to understand whether the
> Remove filter button works correctly. In my experience, it does not.
> It would be helpful to erase the name of the previously applied filter
> when pressing the Remove filter button and display "None", as a
> confirmation that the filter has been correctly un-applied from the
> preprocessing of a dataset.

Not quite sure what you mean. The Remove button will just remove the selected attributes. The Undo button will un-apply the last filtering operation that was performed. The problem with setting the filter to None is that complex configuration settings would potentially be lost. I usually apply a filter, discover that I haven't quite configured it right, and then hit Undo to change the configuration of the filter.

> 2) Refer to all parameter windows: I make an example to explain this
> need. Example:
> When selecting Naive Bayes in the Classify tab, if you click on the
> name on the classifier, a window is displayed with all the available
> parameters available for that classifier. If you set a parameter in
> that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
> For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
> will appear next to NaiveBayes.
>
> Sometimes it is not straightforward to understand to which parameter
> in the window the switch corresponds to (eg, in the case of SMO).
> Would it be possible to display also the switch in the parameter
> window? For example: useKernelEstimator (-K): False

That’s a good suggestion and we’d love to do that but it would require refactoring an enormous amount of code. Command-line option handling has always been separate from configuration in the GUIs. The two have only recently been unified to some extent.

Cheers,
Eibe

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Keith Roy

Maybe I can add one suggestion :

In the Preprocess panel, after running a filter, sometimes for any reason, the user needs to STOP running the filter. It would be nice designing a "STOP" button in the Preprocess panel similar to the existing one in, e.g., Classify panel.

Cheers,
Keith

On 26 May 2017 6:57 a.m., "Eibe Frank" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/05/2017, at 3:33 AM, Marina Santini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1) Preprocess tab: At present, it is hard to understand whether the
> Remove filter button works correctly. In my experience, it does not.
> It would be helpful to erase the name of the previously applied filter
> when pressing the Remove filter button and display "None", as a
> confirmation that the filter has been correctly un-applied from the
> preprocessing of a dataset.

Not quite sure what you mean. The Remove button will just remove the selected attributes. The Undo button will un-apply the last filtering operation that was performed. The problem with setting the filter to None is that complex configuration settings would potentially be lost. I usually apply a filter, discover that I haven't quite configured it right, and then hit Undo to change the configuration of the filter.

> 2) Refer to all parameter windows: I make an example to explain this
> need. Example:
> When selecting Naive Bayes in the Classify tab, if you click on the
> name on the classifier, a window is displayed with all the available
> parameters available for that classifier. If you set a parameter in
> that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
> For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
> will appear next to NaiveBayes.
>
> Sometimes it is not straightforward to understand to which parameter
> in the window the switch corresponds to (eg, in the case of SMO).
> Would it be possible to display also the switch in the parameter
> window? For example: useKernelEstimator (-K): False

That’s a good suggestion and we’d love to do that but it would require refactoring an enormous amount of code. Command-line option handling has always been separate from configuration in the GUIs. The two have only recently been unified to some extent.

Cheers,
Eibe

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Michael Hall
In reply to this post by Marina Santini
On May 25, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Marina Santini <[hidden email]> wrote:

 If you set a parameter in
that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
will appear next to NaiveBayes.

Peter Reutemann’s “Command to code”
might be useful if you are a little used to reading java.

I also wrote something that could be useful, from a prior post

is code I wrote to convert pre-Weka 3.8 models to 3.8 ones by re-running them.
I added a “-o” option to just get the command line options from an existing model, like…

java -cp .:weka38.jar WekaSerialConverter -o iris_rf.ser.model
weka.classifiers.trees.RandomForest -P 100 -I 100 -num-slots 1 -K 0 -M 1.0 -V 0.001 -S 1

So if you create a model of a classification configuration you can run this Weka based code to see what the parameters were that you used.
You can possibly figure out how the parameters correspond to the gui options from that.

Michael Hall





Hi,

I would like to take the liberty to suggest 2 improvements to the Weka
Explorer interface.

1) Preprocess tab: At present, it is hard to understand whether the
Remove filter button works correctly. In my experience, it does not.
It would be helpful to erase the name of the previously applied filter
when pressing the Remove filter button and display "None", as a
confirmation that the filter has been correctly un-applied from the
preprocessing of a dataset.

2) Refer to all parameter windows: I make an example to explain this
need. Example:
When selecting Naive Bayes in the Classify tab, if you click on the
name on the classifier, a window is displayed with all the available
parameters available for that classifier. If you set a parameter in
that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
will appear next to NaiveBayes.

Sometimes it is not straightforward to understand to which parameter
in the window the switch corresponds to (eg, in the case of SMO).
Would it be possible to display also the switch in the parameter
window? For example: useKernelEstimator (-K): False

If I have been unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance

Keep up the good work.

Marina
_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html


_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Michael Hall
On May 25, 2017, at 7:59 PM, Michael Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 25, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Marina Santini <[hidden email]> wrote:

 If you set a parameter in
that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
will appear next to NaiveBayes.

Looking at this a little closer, this is already done isn’t it?
If you have the parameters window up for NaiveBayes you can move it aside so that you still still see the main Explorer window.
If you select useKernelEstimator in the parameters the -K will appear in the Explorer window in the Classifier Choose text area next to NaiveBayes, just as you’re asking for.

Michael Hall




_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

Hawkins Tom (AA-AS/ESD)
In reply to this post by Marina Santini
>Not quite sure what you mean. The Remove button will just remove the selected attributes. The Undo button will un-apply the last filtering
>operation that was performed. The problem with setting the filter to None is that complex configuration settings would potentially be lost. I >usually apply a filter, discover that I haven't quite configured it right, and then hit Undo to change the configuration of the filter.

I agree, it would be very annoying if clicking 'Undo' lost the filter configuration.

One approach that some programs take is to show the name of the step that will be undone, for example 'Undo Filter' or 'Undo Remove' instead of just Undo. That probably works better in a dropdown menu rather than on a button where there is limited space. However it might be possible to change the tooltip that appears when you hover the mouse over the Undo button, which currently always displays 'Undo the last change to the dataset'?

If you want to see whether a change has been applied though, you can click the 'Log' button at the bottom right of the Explorer window. For example, if I open the iris dataset, apply the unsupervised Discretize filter, then Undo it again, the last entry in the log shows that the filter has been undone:

10:08:37: Weka Explorer
10:08:37: (c) 1999-2016 The University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand
10:08:37: web: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/
10:08:37: Started on Friday, 26 May 2017
10:09:03: Base relation is now iris (150 instances)
10:09:14: Command: weka.filters.unsupervised.attribute.Discretize -B 10 -M -1.0 -R first-last
10:09:14: Base relation is now iris-weka.filters.unsupervised.attribute.Discretize-B10-M-1.0-Rfirst-last (150 instances)
10:09:17: Base relation is now iris (150 instances)

Tom
_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Suggestions for improvement: GUI Explorer

andria lan
In reply to this post by Keith Roy


> Maybe I can add one suggestion :
>
> In the Preprocess panel, after running a filter, sometimes for any reason, the user needs to STOP running the filter. It would be nice designing a "STOP" button in the Preprocess panel similar to the existing one in, e.g., Classify panel.

Keith, you're absolutely right.
I highly agree with you. Having a "Stop" button is extremely useful in the Preprocess panel. Hopefully, this suggestion is going to be considered.

Thanks and regards,
Andria

>
> Cheers,
> Keith
>
> On 26 May 2017 6:57 a.m., "Eibe Frank" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> > On 26/05/2017, at 3:33 AM, Marina Santini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > 1) Preprocess tab: At present, it is hard to understand whether the
>> > Remove filter button works correctly. In my experience, it does not.
>> > It would be helpful to erase the name of the previously applied filter
>> > when pressing the Remove filter button and display "None", as a
>> > confirmation that the filter has been correctly un-applied from the
>> > preprocessing of a dataset.
>>
>> Not quite sure what you mean. The Remove button will just remove the selected attributes. The Undo button will un-apply the last filtering operation that was performed. The problem with setting the filter to None is that complex configuration settings would potentially be lost. I usually apply a filter, discover that I haven't quite configured it right, and then hit Undo to change the configuration of the filter.
>>
>> > 2) Refer to all parameter windows: I make an example to explain this
>> > need. Example:
>> > When selecting Naive Bayes in the Classify tab, if you click on the
>> > name on the classifier, a window is displayed with all the available
>> > parameters available for that classifier. If you set a parameter in
>> > that window, a switch will appear next to the name of the classifier.
>> > For instance, if you set useKernelEstimator to True, the switch -K
>> > will appear next to NaiveBayes.
>> >
>> > Sometimes it is not straightforward to understand to which parameter
>> > in the window the switch corresponds to (eg, in the case of SMO).
>> > Would it be possible to display also the switch in the parameter
>> > window? For example: useKernelEstimator (-K): False
>>
>> That’s a good suggestion and we’d love to do that but it would require refactoring an enormous amount of code. Command-line option handling has always been separate from configuration in the GUIs. The two have only recently been unified to some extent.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Eibe
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wekalist mailing list
>> Send posts to: [hidden email]
>> List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
>> List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wekalist mailing list
> Send posts to: [hidden email]
> List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
> List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
>


_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Loading...