Resuscitating Java

Patrick Connolly
My question is about Java installation so that I can use Weka.
Apologies if this is not an appropriate question for this list.

I attempted to install Oracle JDK (slightly unsuccessfully) following
this guide: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1839

Because something didn't quite work I can't install any R packages, in
particular RWeka.  So I'd like to get opinions from those experienced
in Java and preferably apt as to how I can get back to using open-jdk
which used to work flawlessly.

They were deleted this way:
sudo apt-get remove openjdk* icedtea* default-jre default-jdk gcj-jre gcj-jdk icedtea-{6..7}-plugin icedtea-plugin

Can I just reinstall them by replacing 'remove' with 'install'?  And
deleting /opt/java?

TIA

Patrick Connolly
Biometrician

Postal Address: Plant & Food Research
Private Bag 92169, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Physical Address: Plant & Food Research
120 Mt Albert Road, Sandringham, Auckland 1025, New Zealand
The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
 If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disseminate, distribute or
 reproduce all or any part of this e-mail or attachments.  If you have received this
 e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all material pertaining to this
 e-mail.  Any opinion or views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual
 sender and may not represent those of The New Zealand Institute for Plant and
 Food Research Limited.