Re: Save not working in Explorer's Preprocess

Re: Save not working in Explorer's Preprocess

Chaitanya Birudavolu
Hi Eibe,

When I check my preferences, I find that the option "Receive your own posts to the list" is set to "Yes".

Yet, I am not getting a copy of the posts that I have sent, to [hidden email].

Strange !

Could someone look into this please?

Cheers,
Chaitanya

 Subject: Re: [Wekalist] Save not working in Explorer's Preprocess
 To: "Chaitanya Birudavolu" <[hidden email]>, "Weka machine learning workbench list." <[hidden email]>
 Date: Monday, November 12, 2018, 1:01 AM

 The other email messages also
 made it to the list. You can use the wekalist archive to
 check whether a message has made it to the list (or
 configure your mailing list settings to send you posts that
 you have sent yourself).

 > On 12/11/2018, at 1:58
 PM, Chaitanya Birudavolu <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 > Thanks
 Eibe.

 > As an
 aside, I'd like to mention that, earlier, perhaps a
 couple of days ago, I had reported this same thing to this
 very mailing list. But in those emails, I had used the the
 three-letter BUGword.

 > And then I didn't get any response at
 all to those two emails.

 > I suspected that some automatic email
 filter (on the Mailing List server) was sensitive to the
 three-letter BUGword,

 > So, this time, I avoided using that
 three-letter BUGword, and was happy to see this response
 from you.

 > I'm
 hoping that this email will successfully reach you, since
 I've carefully camouflaged the three-letter BUGword
 inside the seven-letter BUGword. Could you please:

 > ---Confirm that
 you've seen this email.
 > ---Clarify
 whether you had seen the two earlier emails sent in the last
 4 days or so describing the same problem.
 > ---Clarify whether this behavior (of
 blocking emails with the three-letter BUGword) is
 intentional (so I can be careful in future)

 > Thanks and
 Regards,
 > Chaitanya

 > On Sun, 11/11/18, Eibe Frank <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 Re: [Wekalist] Save not working in Explorer's
 Preprocess
 > To: "Chaitanya
 Birudavolu" <[hidden email]>,
 "Weka machine learning workbench list." <[hidden email]>
 > Date: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 10:49
 PM

 > Thanks for
 reporting this. I
 > could not reproduce
 this problem on my Mac, but you are

 probably right about file locking being the issue.
 Windows
 > is a bit temperamental in this
 regard. We will look into
 > it.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Eibe
 >
 >> On 12/11/2018, at 7:37
 > AM, Chaitanya Birudavolu <[hidden email]>
 > wrote:
 >>
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> Save operation in

 the Preprocess panel of the Explorer, seems to fail
 > SILENTLY, if the ARFF file (the target of
 the Save)
 > sometimes.
 >>
 >>
 > Steps:
 >> Obtain a
 training set file and a
 > test set file,
 that are structurally compatible with each
 > other. (eg, ReutersCorn-train.arff and
 > ReutersCorn-test.arff)
 >> Open the
 > training
 file in the Classifier tab.

 > Select option “Supplied training
 set”
 >> Choose the test set file.
 >> Go to the Preprocess tab.
 >> Open the test set file.
 >> Apply some filter or make some
 other
 > change.

 Click on the Save button to
 > save the
 test dataset file back onto itself, with the
 > changes.
 >>
 >> Observed

 result:
 >> The save fails SILENTLY
 > (presumably because the file is locked by
 the Classifier
 > tab). An 'OK' is
 displayed in the Status-bar. When
 > the
 saved file is re-opened in Preprocess, the changes are
 > missing.
 >>
 >> Expected

 result:
 >> The failure to save must
 be
 > reported as an error message.
 >>
 >> Other
 environment details:
 >> I'm using
 Weka 3.8.1 on Windows 10
 > Home Edition,
 and Java 1.8

 >> Is this a known problem?
 >>
 >> Thanks,
 >> Chaitanya

Re: Save not working in Explorer's Preprocess

Peter Reutemann
> When I check my preferences, I find that the option "Receive your own posts to the list" is set to "Yes".
>
> Yet, I am not getting a copy of the posts that I have sent, to [hidden email].
>
> Strange !
>
> Could someone look into this please?

That might be due to Yahoo suppressing these email. Gmail discards any
of my emails sent to mailing lists as well (only keeps the outgoing
one).
The mailing list archive is your best bet.

Re: Save not working in Explorer's Preprocess

Chaitanya Birudavolu
Thanks Peter.

But it seems a bit far-fetched to me that Yahoo or Gmail would do such a thing.

Because, it requires Yahoo or Gmail to block an incoming copy, based on the existence of a duplicate in the Sent Items.

I'm no expert on these things, but I suspect that the problem lies with Wekalist.

Regards,
Chaitanya

 To: "weka List" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Saturday, December 1, 2018, 2:09 AM

 > When I check my preferences,
 I find that the option "Receive your own posts to the
 list" is set to "Yes".

 > Yet, I am not getting
 a copy of the posts that I have sent, to [hidden email].

 > Strange !
 >
 > Could someone look
 into this please?

 That
 might be due to Yahoo suppressing these email. Gmail
 discards any
 of my emails sent to mailing
 lists as well (only keeps the outgoing
 one).