Mac users

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac users

M Peter Jurkat

I'm using Weka in one of my courses at U of New Mexico and have students with Macs in the class - some got it downloaded and started but cannot seem to open neither .arff nor .csv files - are the Windows .arff files somehow different from possible Mac .arff files or Windows text files in general? - any advice or links to this would be welcome - thanks - peter j


_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

Eibe Frank-2
Administrator
Double-clicking on ARFF files no longer works on OS X. Are they having these problems when using the "Open file..." button of the "Preprocess" panel in the Explorer? If yes, how were those ARFF and CSV files generated? They should be able to open the ARFF files that come with the WEKA distribution.

Cheers,
Eibe

> On 4 Feb 2017, at 12:29, M Peter Jurkat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm using Weka in one of my courses at U of New Mexico and have students with Macs in the class - some got it downloaded and started but cannot seem to open neither .arff nor .csv files - are the Windows .arff files somehow different from possible Mac .arff files or Windows text files in general? - any advice or links to this would be welcome - thanks - peter j
> _______________________________________________
> Wekalist mailing list
> Send posts to: [hidden email]
> List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
> List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

M Peter Jurkat

using only the files that come with Weka makes sense to me - I assume they have been used on a Mac so that avoids all coding problems - we'll check that


after that if we want to open a .csv file I guess we need to make it a .csv file on a Mac - likely the best sequence might be download an Excel file from where ever onto a Mac, change it to a .csv file on on the Mac, and then see if Weka can import it - will try - thanks - peter j


From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> on behalf of Eibe Frank <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2017 4:32:43 AM
To: Weka machine learning workbench list.
Subject: Re: [Wekalist] Mac users
 
Double-clicking on ARFF files no longer works on OS X. Are they having these problems when using the "Open file..." button of the "Preprocess" panel in the Explorer? If yes, how were those ARFF and CSV files generated? They should be able to open the ARFF files that come with the WEKA distribution.

Cheers,
Eibe

> On 4 Feb 2017, at 12:29, M Peter Jurkat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm using Weka in one of my courses at U of New Mexico and have students with Macs in the class - some got it downloaded and started but cannot seem to open neither .arff nor .csv files - are the Windows .arff files somehow different from possible Mac .arff files or Windows text files in general? - any advice or links to this would be welcome - thanks - peter j
> _______________________________________________
> Wekalist mailing list
> Send posts to: [hidden email]
> List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
> List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html

_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

Michael Hall
On Feb 5, 2017, at 3:18 PM, M Peter Jurkat <[hidden email]> wrote:

using only the files that come with Weka makes sense to me - I assume they have been used on a Mac so that avoids all coding problems - we'll check that

Yes, Weka distribution data files should work fine on the Mac. I don’t think Elbe was suggesting that you limit yourself, or your Mac using students, to only using the files included with the Weka distribution. I believe he was suggesting this as a test to eliminate the possibility of some kind of file corruption in the files you might currently be using.
It seemed a little unclear from your post if your student’s problem is that the double clicking of ARFF files doesn’t work on OS X, or that they can’t open the files at all.
As a Mac user I usually open the arff files using the “Open file…” button on the initial Weka Explorer preprocess panel. Is this what actually isn’t working?


after that if we want to open a .csv file I guess we need to make it a .csv file on a Mac - likely the best sequence might be download an Excel file from where ever onto a Mac, change it to a .csv file on on the Mac, and then see if Weka can import it - will try - thanks - peter j

Again, this shouldn’t be a problem on the Mac. There should be no special need to create or save a csv file on the Mac before using it in Weka. I don’t remember ever running into line ending issues or anything like that with csv. 
The “Open file…” button should work fine again to open the csv. You would just need to change the “Files of Type:” extension filter at the bottom of the file dialog to CSV.
There are some potential issues with using csv with Weka. 
See…
I generally always convert csv to arff before using the data on Weka. 

Michael Hall





_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

M Peter Jurkat

I agree about the possible confusion about exactly what we did when things did not work - I've asked them to try to download Weka with its example files and make sure we can at least open those both by double clicking on them and using the Open File.. button - have not hear back - we'll meet for class on Thursday and should have some info by then


you suggestion about changing .csv files to .arff files leads me to ask if you all have a free standing conversion program or do you mean doing it "by hand" - the code should exist since that is what I suspect Open File... does when given a .csv file - no matter, it's not all that hard to do - p- thanks - p


From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> on behalf of Michael Hall <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:11:51 PM
To: Weka machine learning workbench list.
Subject: Re: [Wekalist] Mac users
 
On Feb 5, 2017, at 3:18 PM, M Peter Jurkat <[hidden email]> wrote:

using only the files that come with Weka makes sense to me - I assume they have been used on a Mac so that avoids all coding problems - we'll check that

Yes, Weka distribution data files should work fine on the Mac. I don’t think Elbe was suggesting that you limit yourself, or your Mac using students, to only using the files included with the Weka distribution. I believe he was suggesting this as a test to eliminate the possibility of some kind of file corruption in the files you might currently be using.
It seemed a little unclear from your post if your student’s problem is that the double clicking of ARFF files doesn’t work on OS X, or that they can’t open the files at all.
As a Mac user I usually open the arff files using the “Open file…” button on the initial Weka Explorer preprocess panel. Is this what actually isn’t working?


after that if we want to open a .csv file I guess we need to make it a .csv file on a Mac - likely the best sequence might be download an Excel file from where ever onto a Mac, change it to a .csv file on on the Mac, and then see if Weka can import it - will try - thanks - peter j

Again, this shouldn’t be a problem on the Mac. There should be no special need to create or save a csv file on the Mac before using it in Weka. I don’t remember ever running into line ending issues or anything like that with csv. 
The “Open file…” button should work fine again to open the csv. You would just need to change the “Files of Type:” extension filter at the bottom of the file dialog to CSV.
There are some potential issues with using csv with Weka. 
See…
<a href="http://weka.wikispaces.com/Can&#43;I&#43;use&#43;CSV&#43;files??responseToken=799680c8bd7dc5f977350d48d860de6a" class="">http://weka.wikispaces.com/Can+I+use+CSV+files%3F?responseToken=799680c8bd7dc5f977350d48d860de6a
I generally always convert csv to arff before using the data on Weka. 

Michael Hall





_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

Michael Hall
On Feb 6, 2017, at 2:08 PM, M Peter Jurkat <[hidden email]> wrote:

I agree about the possible confusion about exactly what we did when things did not work - I've asked them to try to download Weka with its example files and make sure we can at least open those both by double clicking on them and using the Open File.. button - have not hear back - we'll meet for class on Thursday and should have some info by then

you suggestion about changing .csv files to .arff files leads me to ask if you all have a free standing conversion program or do you mean doing it "by hand" - the code should exist since that is what I suspect Open File... does when given a .csv file - no matter, it's not all that hard to do - p- 

I’ve done it manually when simple enough, the arff format isn’t that complex and if you plan on much Weka use it’s useful to know, or I’ve used RWeka from R when it’s more involved. More of that lately for Kaggle competitions.

I think you are correct, there is…

although that way I’ve never used.

Michael Hall





_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac users

Peter Reutemann
> I agree about the possible confusion about exactly what we did when things
> did not work - I've asked them to try to download Weka with its example
> files and make sure we can at least open those both by double clicking on
> them and using the Open File.. button - have not hear back - we'll meet for
> class on Thursday and should have some info by then
>
> you suggestion about changing .csv files to .arff files leads me to ask if
> you all have a free standing conversion program or do you mean doing it "by
> hand" - the code should exist since that is what I suspect Open File... does
> when given a .csv file - no matter, it's not all that hard to do - p-
>
>
> I’ve done it manually when simple enough, the arff format isn’t that complex
> and if you plan on much Weka use it’s useful to know, or I’ve used RWeka
> from R when it’s more involved. More of that lately for Kaggle competitions.
>
> I think you are correct, there is…
> http://weka.wikispaces.com/CSV+file+conversion?responseToken=05b1cae629fc517cdbdc9ee12b48c9f7f
>
> although that way I’ve never used.

You can read Excel files (.xls, xlsx) natively as well by using the
ExcelLoader provided by the WekaExcel package.

Cheers, Peter
--
Peter Reutemann
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Waikato, NZ
+64 (7) 858-5174
http://www.cms.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/
http://www.data-mining.co.nz/
_______________________________________________
Wekalist mailing list
Send posts to: [hidden email]
List info and subscription status: https://list.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/wekalist
List etiquette: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/mailinglist_etiquette.html