Java platform on which Weka runs

Diana Benavides Prado
Hi,

Can someone clarify me what's the Java platform version on which Weka 3.8 runs? Can it run on any (for example, the latest) version or is it for example restricted to the particular version on which the software was developed?

Many thanks,

Diana.

Re: Java platform on which Weka runs

Peter Reutemann
> Can someone clarify me what's the Java platform version on which Weka 3.8
> runs? Can it run on any (for example, the latest) version or is it for
> example restricted to the particular version on which the software was
> developed?

Oracle Java is recommended, OpenJDK had issues with the GUI in the past.
Not sure whether anyone already tested it extensively on Java 9, but
Java 8 works fine.

Re: Java platform on which Weka runs

Diana Benavides Prado
Thanks for your answer, Peter.

My question was because someone from a project I'm working on pointed out that "the software uses an OLD out of date vulnerable Java platform to run." Do you think that's a reasonable concern for Weka 3.8?

Thanks!,

Diana.

On 1 June 2017 at 17:30, Peter Reutemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can someone clarify me what's the Java platform version on which Weka 3.8
> runs? Can it run on any (for example, the latest) version or is it for
> example restricted to the particular version on which the software was
> developed?

Oracle Java is recommended, OpenJDK had issues with the GUI in the past.
Not sure whether anyone already tested it extensively on Java 9, but
Java 8 works fine.

Re: Java platform on which Weka runs

Peter Reutemann
> My question was because someone from a project I'm working on pointed out
> that "the software uses an OLD out of date vulnerable Java platform to run."
> Do you think that's a reasonable concern for Weka 3.8?

I don't know what version of Java is bundled with the Windows/Mac OSX
combo downloads, as I'm on Linux (only use the ZIP file which doesn't
have any bundled Java). But there are also installers *without* any
JRE for Windows/Mac OSX. These then just use whatever JRE is already
installed on your system.