Inclusion of new algorithms in Weka

Manju Bhardwaj
Hi Weka experts,

I have designed a classification ensemble technique, the algorithm has been presented in a conference and published in conference proceedings. Further, the algorithm has been tweaked to handle imbalanced datasets and has been extensively tested on various imbalanced datasets.

Recently I have implemented both versions of algorithm by integrating two new classes in WEKA. My question is : How do I get these algorithms published as a part of WEKA, when the new version is released?

--
Manju Bhardwaj
Associate Professor

Re: Inclusion of new algorithms in Weka

Peter Reutemann
> I have designed a classification ensemble technique, the algorithm has been
> presented in a conference and published in conference proceedings. Further,
> the algorithm has been tweaked to handle imbalanced datasets and has been
> extensively tested on various imbalanced datasets.
>
> Recently I have implemented both versions of algorithm by integrating two
> new classes in WEKA. My question is : How do I get these algorithms
> published as a part of WEKA, when the new version is released?

First step is to create a package:
http://weka.wikispaces.com/Packages

Whether it gets included as "official" package will be up to Mark and
Eibe. If that should be the case, it will be most likely only linked,
not added the to Weka subversion repo itself, allowing you to maintain
the code and make new releases. However, you can always list your
package as an "unofficial" one on the wiki (I do).

Re: Inclusion of new algorithms in Weka

Manju Bhardwaj
Thanks Peter for providing the info. Your invaluable help guided me to create the package. Now that the package has been created and works as an unofficial package, I have some further queries, after checking with LIBSVM which is available as an official package for WEKA:
1. The "Description.props" file requires me to specify the URL where the package is loaded, the LIBSVM URL is at sourceforge/weka. So where should I load my package?
2. After getting the other two XML files ready, how do I write to the WEKA group about inclusion of this package into Weka?

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Peter Reutemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have designed a classification ensemble technique, the algorithm has been
> presented in a conference and published in conference proceedings. Further,
> the algorithm has been tweaked to handle imbalanced datasets and has been
> extensively tested on various imbalanced datasets.
>
> Recently I have implemented both versions of algorithm by integrating two
> new classes in WEKA. My question is : How do I get these algorithms
> published as a part of WEKA, when the new version is released?

First step is to create a package:
http://weka.wikispaces.com/Packages

Whether it gets included as "official" package will be up to Mark and
Eibe. If that should be the case, it will be most likely only linked,
not added the to Weka subversion repo itself, allowing you to maintain
the code and make new releases. However, you can always list your
package as an "unofficial" one on the wiki (I do).

Manju Bhardwaj
Associate Professor
Department of Computer science
Maitreyi College
Delhi University

Re: Inclusion of new algorithms in Weka

Peter Reutemann
> Thanks Peter for providing the info. Your invaluable help guided me to
> create the package. Now that the package has been created and works as an
> unofficial package, I have some further queries, after checking with LIBSVM
> which is available as an official package for WEKA:
> 1. The "Description.props" file requires me to specify the URL where the
> package is loaded, the LIBSVM URL is at sourceforge/weka. So where should I
> load my package?

Wherever you're hosting your package. All my packages are hosted on
github (alongside the source code).

Here is an example, using the "multisearch" package:
- repository
  https://github.com/fracpete/multisearch-weka-package
- releases
  https://github.com/fracpete/multisearch-weka-package/releases
- Latest release at time of writing is "v2017.3.28"
  https://github.com/fracpete/multisearch-weka-package/releases/tag/v2017.3.28
- Description.props file of the "v2017.3.28" release:
  https://github.com/fracpete/multisearch-weka-package/blob/6ebbccedbaa59467186865c50e0c303531024444/Description.props
- Package URL specified in the above props file:
  https://github.com/fracpete/multisearch-weka-package/releases/download/v2017.3.28/multisearch-2017.3.28.zip

> 2. After getting the other two XML files ready, how do I write to the WEKA
> group about inclusion of this package into Weka?

Not sure what XML files you're referring to. Weka tends to use Properties files.

Mark and Eibe are both subscribers to this list. Post the package
homepage, algorithms and the associated publications and they can make
a decision whether your package will become an official one (can be
still self-hosted!) or not.