Fetching meta data for RPlugin takes too long

Fetching meta data for RPlugin takes too long

Chaitanya Birudavolu
Hi,

I'm using Weka 3.9.3 on Java 1.8.x

On a couple occasions recently, upon starting up Weka, I found that my Package Manager was re-fetching ALL the meta data that is supposed to already exist cached in my local Weka folders.

This has happened only twice, though recently. On one of those occasions I had killed my previous Weka session rather abruptly, so that probably somehow resulted in loss of the local cache of the meta data.

But the real problem I wanted to report for now, is the fact that fetching the meta data for RPlugin seems to take forever (almost 30 minutes), though it eventually completes. Looking at the console messages, the meta data for all the other plugins comes in quickly.

Surely, that's not reasonable?

Anything known already on this?

Regards,
Chaitanya

Re: Fetching meta data for RPlugin takes too long

Mark Hall
There was probably an issue with connectivity with SourceForge (which is where the package metadata is hosted). You should not see output relating to fetching individual package metadata. It should look something like:

java weka.core.WekaPackageManager -refresh-cache
There are new packages at the repository. Refreshing cache...
Refresh in progress. Please wait...
[DefaultPackageManager] downloaded 2110 KB

If there is an issue, then the package manager falls back to a legacy routine which tries to download individual package metadata.

Cheers,
Mark.