ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instance classification in java using weka

ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instance classification in java using weka

gevindu
I am writing a program to classify a given test instance in to "positive" or
"negative"; using j48 algorithm. I have created the model using Weka tool,
and using it in my java program.

I am getting an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException from

result = cls_co.classifyInstance(data.firstInstance());

I tried many examples found on the internet. But still I am getting the same
error.

I have attached my java code training set and the model here with.
love.arff <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/love.arff>
huttaGG.model <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/huttaGG.model>
TestPred.java <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/TestPred.java>

Thanks in advance.

--
Sent from: http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instance classification in java using weka

gevindu
Please find the attached correct java file
TestPred.java <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/TestPred.java>

--
Sent from: http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instanceclassification in java using weka

Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model, but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.

I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instanceclassification in java using weka

gevindu
Deer Eibe,

Thank you very much for your response. But still I'm not quite sure where am
I doing wrong. These are the steps I have followed when I am creating the
model as follows.

1) Load the .arff file in to weka explore.
2) Apply StringToWordVector
3) Set the class attribute
4) select the classification algorithm.
5) Generate and save the model (this time I select FilteredClassifier).

I did following changes in my java code.

I applied StringToWordVector to my test set.

Finally, I print my Instances object and I noticed only class attribute is
there and 0 is set as my string to be predicted (image is attached of the
output).
<http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/test.jpg>

Now I'm not getting the  ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException; instead test set is
always classified to the first class type.

Please find my new model and the java code.

FFF.model <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/FFF.model>
NewJava.java <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/NewJava.java>

--
Sent from: http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in instanceclassification in java using weka

Peter Reutemann
> Thank you very much for your response. But still I'm not quite sure where am
> I doing wrong. These are the steps I have followed when I am creating the
> model as follows.
>
> 1) Load the .arff file in to weka explore.
> 2) Apply StringToWordVector
> 3) Set the class attribute
> 4) select the classification algorithm.
> 5) Generate and save the model (this time I select FilteredClassifier).
>
> I did following changes in my java code.
>
> I applied StringToWordVector to my test set.

Train and test set will generate two different dictionaries in the
StringToWordVectors. That's why Eibe told you to use the
FilteredClassifier in conjunction with the StringToWordVector filter
and your base classifier. That way, your test data will get processed
with the dictionary that was generated on the training data, producing
the same output for the trained classifier.

[...]

Eibe Frank-2 wrote

> Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
> but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
> as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
>
> I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
> your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
> using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
> Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
> filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
> filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
> can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
>
> Cheers,
> Eibe

Eibe Frank-2 wrote

> Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
> but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
> as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
>
> I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
> your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
> using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
> Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
> filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
> filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
> can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
>
> Cheers,
> Eibe

Eibe Frank-2 wrote

> Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
> but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
> as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
>
> I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
> your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
> using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
> Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
> filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
> filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
> can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
>
> Cheers,
> Eibe

Eibe Frank-2 wrote

> Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
> but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
> as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
>
> I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
> your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
> using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
> Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
> filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
> filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
> can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
>
> Cheers,
> Eibe

Mark Hall
The problem is the two separate applications of StringToWordVector on different datasets. As Peter said, this produces two different dictionaries which, in turn, leads to different features in the vectorized form - i.e. the training and test data are not compatible in this case.

The solution is to only apply StringToWordVector once (on the training data) to learn a single dictionary. This dictionary then needs to be applied to the test data to produce vectors that are consistent with those generated on the training data. As Eibe said, the way to accomplish this is to configure a FilteredClassifier in your code with J48 as the base classifier and StringToWordVector as the filter. Train this classifier on your raw training data (i.e. the data that contains the String attribute(s)) and then apply it to your raw test data for prediction.

Cheers,
Mark.

On 4/12/18, 5:22 PM, "gevindu" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Still I'm not quite sure where am I doing wrong. These are the steps I have
    followed when I am creating the model as follows.

    1) Load the .arff file in to weka explore.
    2) Apply StringToWordVector
    3) Set the class attribute
    4) select the classification algorithm.
    5) Generate and save the model (this time I select FilteredClassifier).

    I did following changes in my java code.

    I applied StringToWordVector to my test set.

    Finally, I print my Instances object and I noticed only class attribute is
    there and 0 is set as my string to be predicted (image is attached of the
    output).
    <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/test.jpg>

    Now I'm not getting the  ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException; instead test set is
    always classified to the first class type.

    Please find my new model and the java code.

    FFF.model <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/FFF.model>
    NewJava.java <http://weka.8497.n7.nabble.com/file/t6230/NewJava.java>

    Eibe Frank-2 wrote
    > Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
    > but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
    > as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
    >
    > I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
    > your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
    > using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
    > Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
    > filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
    > filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
    > can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Eibe

    Eibe Frank-2 wrote
    > Your code looks fine. The model is the problem. It is a simple J48 model,
    > but it needs to be a FilteredClassifier model that has StringToWordVector
    > as the filter and J48 as the base classifier.
    >
    > I think the mistake you made is that you processed the training data from
    > your ARFF file in the Preprocess panel to make it suitable for training
    > using J48. What you need to do is leave the data as it is in the
    > Preprocess panel before proceeding to training and instead incorporate all
    > filtering steps into the FilteredClassifier. If there are multiple
    > filtering steps, you can use MultiFilter inside FilteredClassifier, or you
    > can nest several FilteredClassifier objects inside one another.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Eibe

    Eibe Frank-2 wrote